Tuesday 13 March 2012

SAUERKRAUT

I first learnt about Sauerkraut at my aunt's house when she served it in a Salt Beef and mustard sandwich! I was hooked straight away, loving the crunchy, salty, sour taste that complemented the salt beef and mustard very well. I did not like mustard then, but this made it palatable.
My Aunt made Sauerkraut very differently from what I've researched and have come to make myself.  I do however remember how she meticulously got rid of the hard bits of each cabbage leaf, folding several of the leaves then rolling them together and then only chopping them in extremely thin strips. I very much prefer the wild fermentation which in itself creates health benefits.  Sauerkraut is rich in Vitamin C, the natural anaerobic protection of the brine historically used to prevent vitamin deficiency on ships. During the 18th Century it was discovered that Sauerkraut was an effective cure for scurvy. 


My dear Aunt was an exceptional cook in a wealthy Jewish family's house. She then helped a destitute Asian family opening her house to them and living with them. Her bountiful reward from this family was learning first hand all the greatest Indian cuisine from her now very dear friend, an Indian lady and matriarch who hardly spoke any English. This in turn was handed down to me, some of the recipes only given to me literally on my aunt's deathbed.

I could not help but digress a little.

Sauerkraut is definitely a delicacy to enjoy! It is made with only cabbage and sea salt and left to ferment.


The Sauerkraut was fermented for 4 weeks before bottling!
I've think a lovely organic sourdough Maltstar loaf will make the perfect Salt Beef, Mustard and Sauerkraut sandwich...... all this homemade, what bliss!




No comments:

Post a Comment