Wednesday 28 March 2012

MAKING SAMOSAS


I learnt to make samosas over 20 years ago! I was taught by a friend who taught me everything from making the samosa sheets (pastry) right to folding them. It was however another family friend (a Muslim lady) who corrected my folding, very patiently teaching and giving me lots of time to practice and perfect my skill. This strangely enough happened whilst we were all on summer holidays in Durban, South Africa. I've subsequently taught my sisters how to fold the samosas because as a self supporting student  at university all those many years ago, I used to make samosas and sell them (I had a small catering business then).
Well, after making the sheets, which in itself is worth another blog, they are cut into rectangular strips for folding. The filling would have been prepared beforehand and kept in a colander to get rid of all the moisture.  The video clip demonstrates how I fold the samosas.  I normally make a big batch and store them in vacuum sealed bags, about two dozen per bag. Kept frozen I can then use them whenever I need to!









No comments:

Post a Comment