Tuesday 15 May 2012

MAKING VEGETABLE PICKLES

My dear Aunt Kate always asked me to go and buy the ingredients for this scrumptious pickle.  According to her I knew how to buy the best and freshest vegetables for the pickle especially the garlic. The method for making it would always remain a secret until the very last. The two of us would sit together peeling the vegetables and patiently work our way through at least two kilograms of garlic for all the other stuff she would also make. During those treasured and precious moments shared secrets cemented our bonding! She always only made the pickle once I had left.

When she eventually demonstrated the method for making the VEGETABLE PICKLES,  her instructions were quite meticulous. I've made these pickles for over twenty years now and never once have I been disappointed. It is served as an accompaniment to many dishes especially curries.  In my experience I've come to enjoy it mostly with roast meats such as Salt Beef, Lamb and Chicken.  It also goes really well on a cheese sandwich!


The VEGETABLE PICKLE includes: Beans, Carrots, Onions, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Garlic, Chillies pickled with spices including crushed chillies and turmeric. It is then bottled and topped with oil. Kept in a dry cool place, the pickles will last forever!

2 comments: