Wednesday 16 May 2012

MAKING FIG PRESERVE


Our neighbour in my hometown had a whole row of fig trees that use to separate the two yards along the fence. As children we enjoyed picking the figs that hung over the fence but we had to watch out for the old man next door who got very upset if he saw us pick it! We never really stopped, how can one resist a lovely ripe fig! It would have been eaten by the birds in any case......


My aunt (not aunt Kate) also had a huge fig tree and she always made lovely Fig jam. My mother would inevitably get a few bottles 'for the boys' and oh how lovely it was on a slice of toast! I first experimented with making FIG PRESERVE when I lived in Johannesburg and a friend asked me to pick the fruit from her tree as she had no use for it. I would pick them quite green as she did not want the birds to come and fight over it. As the fruit is still quite firm it does not soften up enough to make a jam unless you cut the fruit in pieces.  I wanted the fruit to be cooked whole and this led me to create a preserve that later on demonstrated its diverse uses. Figs go well with fresh ginger too and this makes it a rather easy preserve to make. The fruit is cleaned and boiled until fairly tender but still retaining its form. The water is drained and the fruit weighed. Equal amounts of fruit and sugar are combined, a little water added as well as fresh ginger strips and cinnamon sticks. When the fruit has become translucent it is ready for bottling. 


Over the years of experimentation I've come to add one more ingredient, brandy.  This makes the syrup quite unique ensuring a beautiful preserve with a delicate yet quite subtle flavour, not overly sweet at all.


Apart from enjoying it on a slice of toast, it also has become quite a hit as a summer starter or dessert. Take a bed of rocket, blue cheese, parma ham and  top it with one fig in syrup! 



No comments:

Post a Comment