Friday 6 April 2012

HOT CROSS BUNS

When I think of Hot Cross Buns I can't help thinking of my dear Aunt Kate. Oh how she use to terrorise poor Uncle Linton into buying all the right ingredients and only the best. I recall a day when he came home with salted butter instead of unsalted,  she went ballistic. The tantrum Aunt Kate threw was hilarious...... NOW! Bless their souls!  Preparing for Good Friday was as much a religious practice as being Roman Catholic for her!  She honed all her energies into making perfect pickle fish, Gefilte Fish and Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday! Drawing ideas and practices from different cultures into ones own (a very normal practice) truly reflects the strength and diversity of the coloured (mixed race) community in South Africa!

I always ended up doing the laborious tasks in the making process because as she put it: "my arms kannie meer nie (my[her] arms can't anymore)"! My aunt never discussed the ingredients and quantities, it was always just the method because that part involved me.  I cherish those privileged moments that I shared with them. Her hot cross buns always were really soft and deliciously spicy!

I made my own last night, combining various recipes with my own experiences and voila!










No comments:

Post a Comment